Health - Complaints

NHS Cheshire and Merseyside is committed to ensuring our patients can access high quality care that is safe, effective and focused on patient experience. We expect our patients to be treated with respect, dignity and compassion by the services that we commission.

However, we recognise that occasionally things may go wrong or that you might be unhappy with the care that you have received.

Some issues can be resolved quickly by speaking directly to the staff in the service that you have accessed or by asking our Patient Advice and Liaison Service to assist you. Other issues you may wish to have formally investigated under the NHS complaints procedure.

You have the right to make a complaint about any aspect of NHS care, treatment or service, with the assurance that your care and choices as a patient will not be compromised by raising a complaint.

You can either complain to the service provider directly (for example your local hospital) or to the organisation that has commissioned (planned and bought) the service.

For more information visit

If you have a complaint or concern about your GP or dental practice, whether clinical or administrative, you should initially raise this directly with your practice. All practices have a complaints policy which is available on the practice website. If you are unable to resolve you concern with the practice then you should contact NHS England 

For more information please visit

Healthwatch Advocacy Service

Although most people using the health service are happy with their care and treatment, things can sometimes go wrong. If you're not satisfied with the service you've experienced from a hospital, doctor, dentist, local surgery or other NHS provider, you are entitled to complain about it.

We can help you make this complaint, by providing a free, confidential and independent service designed to help you understand your rights and make informed choices.

We can help you:

  • Explore options available at every stage of the complaints procedure
  • Provide confidential support from someone who is independent of the NHS
  • Write effective letters to the right people
  • Prepare for meetings and maybe even go with you
  • Contact and speak to third parties if required
  • Trained advocates who can support you
  • We offer a range of ‘self-help’ materials if you do not need the support of an advocate but want some advice on the best way to make a complaint.

You can contact the Healthwatch Independent Complaints team on 01744 457 105 or email


The purpose of the Local Offer is to enable parents and young people to see more clearly what services are available for children with special educational needs and disabilities in their area, and how to access them.

Get in Touch...

"I like the pictures and I like the interesting information it has on the website" - Pupil from Allanson Street Primary School

boy in a wheel chair